Your home is your most valuable asset. Unlike stocks, bonds, and treasury bills, you can sleep in it, and with good care it will last more than a lifetime. Renovating is great way to increase the value of your home; however, before jumping into a major remodelling consider the following points, doing so will prevent headaches later on.
- Before you start any major renovation take the time to plan, plan, and plan again. Unlike changing the odd bathroom faucet or kitchen sink, a home renovation is a major change to your living space, as well as a significant financial commitment. If you are planning major changes, make sure you have planned everything – from finances all the way to your general contractor.
- Use professionals across the board for any major project. Changing the kitchen sink, adding a new mirror, or updating your bathroom plumbing fixtures is one issue; however, moving walls, changing the roof, adding a floor, or remodelling the entire kitchen is another. Avoid doing those big renovations alone.
- Use written agreements with contractors, and not handshakes. The building cycle can be unpredictable, and the last thing one wants is to be caught with a contractor who disappears because they are too busy, or they feel the job is done, even when the renovations are still incomplete.
- Don’t go with some new operation because they are cheap. Go with companies that have been around for a long time and are reputable. These companies have customers who you can contact and find out about their work. An example of the type of company to work with would be www.coordinatedkitches.com, a company that has been around for over thirty years with a well established group of sub-contractors, designers, and satisfied customers.
- Go with the referral network. Know a friend, neighbour, or family member who is happy with their renovation? Well then give them a call and find out whom they used.
- Ask the right advice from the right people. Don’t rely on your plumber to pick the style of your bathroom faucets or kitchen sinks, rather contact a plumbing fixtures specialist such as www.finestfixtures.com to find out about plumbing designs. Don’t ask your painter to pick your house colours, rather contact an established designer who can work with you through your whole project.
- You get what you pay for. Spending more on brand names adds sparkle to your home, and a discerning real estate agent and buyer will willingly pay a premium for a house complete with top kitchen and bathroom vanities, sinks, and faucets. At www.finestfixtures.com you can find some of the finest in luxury online plumbing from world famous international brands such as Toto, Franke, KWC, Zucchetti, and Porcher, and there is live customer service available to help.
Michael Pokrass Phillips
President of Coordinated Kitchen and Bath
, a kitchen and bath company specializing in the design of high-end kitchens and bathrooms, Michael Pokrass Phillips has thirty plus years of experience in the building industry, and also carries the NKBA’s
certified kitchen designer (CKD
) and certified bathroom designer (CBD
Glen Albert Phillips
President of www.finestfixtures.com, an e-commerce website specializing in the delivery of luxury kitchen and bathroom fixtures, Glen Albert Phillips was trained with a masters in business administration (MBA) at HEC Montreal and ESADE Barcelona. With Coordinated Kitchen and Bath and Colours By Paula, he has completed a number of collective construction projects in the residential real estate industry. Glen is a published author of different genres; his works can be viewed at www.poeticgypsy.com.